Dental Crowns & Bridges
You have just received a temporary crown. This temporary crown is meant only to serve your needs while a permanent crown is being made for you.
Below are the ways in which your temporary crown or bridge will differ from your final crown/bridge.
Color: The color of the plastic temporary crown does not resemble the final (permanent) crown in any way.
Shape and Size: Temporary crowns are custom-made for each patient, but they will not, in any way, resemble the final crown which is being made especially for you.
Tooth Sensitivity: Your temporary crown will help protect the sensitivity of the prepared tooth. However, it does not fit your mouth like the permanent crown will, so you may notice sensitivity to heat, cold, or sweets – sensations you won’t feel when your specially-made crown is in place.
More Information About Temporary Crowns or Bridges
- The temporary cement requires about 30 minutes (one half-hour) to set. Please do not chew during that period of time.
- Certain foods will stick to the temporary crown. Please refrain from chewing gum, candies, or foods that might stick to the crown or even pull it out.
- Temporary crowns are not strong; they may occasionally break or come off. If this should happen to you, please contact our office immediately. Bring your crown with you, and we will replace it. Should you be unable to contact us, simply go to a pharmacy and get some Fixodent. Replace the temporary crown on your tooth using the Fixodent to hold it in place until you can contact us.
- Please do not leave the temporary crown out of your mouth. Without the temporary crown, your teeth may move and then the permanent crown may not fit!
- Do not brush or floss too vigorously around your temporary crown. Remember that it is important to keep the area clean, but use caution.
It is imperative that you return to our office at the appointed time for your permanent crown. Failure to do so may result in the need to re-prepared the re-make the crown at your cost. If you have issues between appointments, contact us to address your concerns.