Dental Bridges in O’Fallon, IL
Tooth loss can occur for various reasons, ranging from extractions to injuries. Empty spaces in the mouth negatively impact the appearance and oral health. Fixed dental bridges restore your mouth’s function by filling the gap between two existing teeth.
Lake Pointe Dental Group in O’Fallon, IL, offers dental bridges to patients experiencing tooth loss. We dedicate our dental work to helping patients achieve the smile they want and deserve. Schedule an appointment with us today to receive the best dental care!
What is a Dental Bridge?
Dental bridges include two crowns attached to existing teeth, called “abutments,” on either side of a gap. An artificial tooth made from porcelain, referred to as a “pontic,” replaces the missing tooth. The dental restoration matches the color, shape, and size of your existing teeth, thus appearing natural.
Lake Pointe Dental Group provides fixed bridges, or permanent structures, that only a dental professional can remove. As a result, you can speak, chew, and perform other essential functions without difficulty. Dental bridges boost confidence and require little extra maintenance like that of removable partial or complete dentures.
Missing tooth (space) with adjacent healthy teeth
Adjacent teeth prepared for fixed bridge
Bridge prior to cementation
Bridge cemented in place
Dental Bridge Procedure
Most dental bridge procedures require at least two appointments, depending on the case. Generally speaking, you can expect the following when you visit Lake Pointe Dental Group for your procedure:
The First Visit
- Our team prepares your abutment teeth for crowns by removing a portion of the enamel.
- We take impressions of your teeth and send them to our dental laboratory to ensure an accurate, custom-made fit.
- Our dentists, Drs. Bean and Greiff, prepare a temporary bridge to protect your teeth until your permanent structure arrives.
The Second Visit
- Our dental professionals remove your temporary bridge and replace it with your custom-fitted permanent structure.
- We adjust your dental bridge as necessary to ensure comfort.
- You may need to return for additional adjustments since every person’s mouth and bite differs.
- Once it fits, our dentists cement your bridge into place.
Advantages of Dental Bridges
Although dental bridges significantly improve your smile’s appearance, they provide numerous additional benefits, such as:
- Enabling you to chew more efficiently.
- Helping you speak and pronounce words.
- Maintaining your face shape.
- Adjusting your bite to be more effective.
- Keeping existing teeth from shifting position.
How to Care for Dental Bridges
Typically, dental bridges can last between 5 and 15 years. Bridges don’t require additional care, but maintaining proper oral hygiene helps to ensure their longevity. Therefore, its lifespan largely depends on how well you brush, floss, use mouthwash, and visit your dentist for regular cleanings and checkups.
Restore Your Smile With Dental Bridges in O’Fallon, IL
Tooth loss can lower self-esteem and cause numerous issues within your mouth. Dental bridges are an excellent option for patients who have lost teeth but don’t need complete dentures. The permanent porcelain artificial teeth blend seamlessly into your smile’s appearance and feel. Schedule an appointment with the Lake Pointe Dental Group professionals to restore your smile and confidence!